Impact of Photography

Photography has many different impacts on society. The movie Flags of Our Fathers really shows the different aspects of war, photography, and attitude towards others. This movies teaches many life lessons along with some fun facts you would have never known.

The movie Flags of Our Fathers brought up many different thoughts for me. The entire movie was shot in almost black and white with grey tones and brought about a very mournful feeling. It wasn’t necessarily all sad, but mesmerizing as well. It was able to show me how the people who fought in the military really felt and how they really viewed their lives. This movie changed my perspective of the people we call “heroes” today. 

The photograph of the men raising the flag in Iwo Jima was basically the main storyline of the movie. I think that the photograph impacted the world in a variety of ways. People went crazy over those men, even though they couldn’t see their faces in the picture. The people started driving all over to take pictures with the people in the photograph. The society named those soldiers “heroes.” This seems like a good thing, because they fought for America’s freedom, but those soldiers didn’t necessarily enjoy being called heroes. I believe that they thought this because it made them feel like they were saving America for the fame; when in reality, they were doing it for their buddies and the men who fought besides them. I think this proves that photography can make a huge different in the world.

Pictures are designed in a way that will tell a story. Some are just a snapshot, but others are precisely thought about. These images that have a lot of thought behind them can impact our world. They can show the world what is truly going on “behind the scenes,” they can show the world a sad or happy reality, or they could create an intense fiction story. Photography isn’t just about taking a picture, but it is about showing the society what life is all about. I think it’s true; a picture really is worth a thousand words.

Photography is used all around us in this world. It was especially used to tell an amazing story in the film The Flags of Our Fathers. Not only is photography used for fun, but it can also be used to display information. This movie really showed me that photography can change the world.